Director of Data Engineering
About the position
Fabric makes profitable on-demand e-commerce a reality. Its flexible micro-fulfillment solution was specifically designed to enable fast fulfillment from small spaces. By leveraging robotic automation, Fabric allows retailers to reduce costs and cut fulfillment times.
Unlike any other micro-fulfillment solution, Fabric’s software-led robotics and modular approach gives retailers the flexibility to build the fulfillment center that fits their requirements, allowing them to fulfill online orders at maximum speed while ensuring profitability.
Founded in 2015, Fabric has raised $138 million to date and is backed by Aleph, Corner Ventures, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB), Innovation Endeavors, La Maison, Playground Ventures, and Temasek. With offices in New York City and Tel Aviv, Fabric is rapidly expanding its U.S. operations with over 200 team members globally and 15 sites under development/contract, including four live micro-fulfillment centers.
About the role
Working with the company’s CPO, Fabric is looking for a Leader to drive Fabric’s Data strategy and engineering capabilities. These capabilities are needed for two main reasons - internally for Fabric’s purposes (operations management and robotics performance) and externally working with our customers to build our data streaming, visualization, and data insights capabilities.
This is a remote role filled from any metropolitan area in the Eastern US.
- As Director of Data engineering, you will be responsible to define the roadmap for data usage and to design and implement the entire stack that supports this roadmap (Data conventions, ETLs, Visual, Data pipelines etc.). In your role you will be accountable for leading three domains as part of this role - Visualization/BI, Operations performance & Data streaming/architecture engineering
- You’ll lead all Data related decisions in the company, to ensure we have mechanisms to enforce decisions on the product engineering as well as other information systems.
- You’ll design the data architecture while working closely with the product org. to define what needs to be built and the path for execution
- Own the process methodology for Data Engineering. Fabric’s success is driven by repeatable and scalable data processes, and an implementation methodology that is repeatable, scalable and efficient is of paramount importance for the product overall.
- Align and collaborate with the Applied Research and Engineering organizations to define and deliver optimal processes, as well as partnering to develop and enhance tools and methodologies that improve our products and services to our customers
- Own and motivate your team to own the Data Strategy and champion the role of data to our organization’s success
- At least 8+ years of data engineering background
- Proven management experience of at least 4 years
- Domain expertise in Data engineering, Data streaming technologies, and customer-facing visualization technologies.
- Strong customer-facing skills, working with customers to define strategic data needs
- An excellent collaborator with great communication skills, who can take part in diverse cross-functional teams
- Must have a successful track record of managing and leading global teams
- Strong organizational and attention to detail skills with the ability to multi-task and learn quickly
- Self-motivated and able to thrive under pressure and function effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven ability to deliver results in a high-performance organization
- Excellent ability to follow-up on items and ensure resolution/closure of problems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as presentation skills
- Able to influence the scope and management of initiatives across organizational boundaries
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with team participants, business stakeholders and Senior Management across organizational boundaries, and lead cross-functional teams
- Confidence, knowledge, and ability to make informed decisions
What you’ll get
Supportive team environment, flexible schedule. Add to that a competitive salary, best in class benefits package, which includes medical, life, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid time off and career growth opportunities